What are the Top 13 advantage of using Zebrafish in research field?
1. The zebrafish is small and strong.
2. They are cheaper to maintain than mice or other animals on which researchers experiment with drugs.
3. Break of daylight triggers mating in zebrafish.
4. Large number of experiments is possible in short time period.
5. Zebrafish produce hundreds of offspring at weekly intervals providing researchers with an ample supply of embryos.
6. Their growth rate is extremely faster, developing as much in a day as a human embryo develops in one month.
7. Zebrafish embryos are nearly transparent which allows researchers effortlessly to analyze the advancement of interior structures. Each vein in a living zebrafish incipient organism can be seen utilizing only a low-control microscope.
8. As zebrafish eggs are fertilized and develop outside the mother’s body it is an ideal model organism for studying early development.
9. Zebrafish have a similar genetic structure to humans. They share 70 percent of genes with a human.
10. 84 percent of genes known to be associated with human disease have a zebrafish counterpart.
11. As a vertebrate, the zebrafish has the same major organs and diseases as humans. Their muscle, blood, kidney and eyes share many features with human systems.
12. Zebrafish have the unique ability to repair heart muscle. Scientists are working to find out the specific factors involved in this process to see if this will help us to develop ways of repairing the heart in humans with heart failure or who have suffered heart attacks.
13. The zebrafish genome has been fully sequenced to a very high gene. This has enabled scientists to create mutations in more than 14,000 genes to study their function.